Considering refreshing your space to make it your own? There are endless décor and color scheme options to reinvent your living space. What if you repainted your ceiling? While most people play it safe, sticking to the generic white ceiling, you can be bold and truly stand out, by painting your ceiling.
Approaches to Painting
You can choose to paint both the walls and ceiling the same color. This reduces your risk of a poor mismatch, and you won’t have to worry about whether or not you mess up along the border between the ceiling and the wall. You could take a bigger risk and choose a different color. The color can be a bold contrast to the wall colors. Work with a professional to pick the right color and gather some tips on how to paint a ceiling.
Prep for a Successful Paint Job
These ceiling painting tips are recommended prior to beginning the paint job on your ceiling:
- Make sure that you patch every little hole in your ceiling to clear out any imperfections.
- Remove as many things as possible from your space, or go ahead and cover large items if that is not possible.
How to Paint a Ceiling
Now that you are ready, here's how to paint your ceiling:
- Use paint tape or something like a primer tape to mark off the borders.
- Dip the roller in paint, and start applying paint starting from one side of the room to the other side. The application should be in just one straight line.
- Once you have completed one line, create a parallel line adjacent it to it.
- Continue the process until you have completely covered the ceiling.
- Ceiling painting advice from experts usually recommend applying a second coat to the ceiling using the same approach.
The Difference Paint Can Make
If experimenting with colors, you may decide to go with a lighter color. Lighter paints applied to the ceiling will actually create the illusion of a larger space. You can create a larger space in the same manner by applying the same wall color to the ceiling. Or, you can take your ceiling to new heights by adding crown molding, decorative art or a creative light fixture.
Painting the ceiling in a room is a quick way to transform any room in your home. It's a simple enough process and doesn't require a lot of time. Follow these ceiling painting tips to make sure that your project is a success.